It’s FUN FRIDAY! One thing I love to do (that I don’t believe I’ve mentioned) is bake and make treats. Unfortunately, most of this fun has gotten relegated to the holidays, but I’m determined to make more time for one of my favorite hobbies.
Note: This post contains affiliate links, meaning I will make a small commission (at no additional cost to you) if you purchase using one of my links.
Summer is coming up soon! Around here, the kids are just getting out of school and now that I’m staying home with my son, I understand better how important it is to have a game plan for what to do with those long summer days.
My boy has been finished with preschool for a week now and I’m trying to establish a little loose-ended schedule for the days of the week that I found on this cool summer activity blog:
- Make Something Monday – this can be a sweet treat, a craft, really anything we make together. This week, we made muffins.
- Time to Read Tuesday – a trip to the library, which works out perfectly because Preschool Story Time is on Tuesday mornings at our main library.
- Water Fun Wednesday – it rained on our first Wednesday, so I haven’t had a chance to do this one yet. Some planned activities include the kiddie pool in the backyard, water fights, a couple of splash pads in our area, and maybe a splurge on a local water park a time or two.
- Take a Trip Thursday – could be anywhere! This week, we went to a $1 summer movie at a local theater and visited with Nana for a little while.
- Fabulous Friday Fun – again, could be anything. I think our first trip will be a picnic at the park, since that’s one of his favorite activities. But it could even be something at home.
On a similar note, one of my family’s favorite treats (that would work for summer or any time) is Sticky Popcorn, as we call it. It would be something great to make for Make Something Monday, or we like to make it on a Friday night when we watch a movie together. (Maybe it would work for an outdoor movie?)
I’ll be honest and say, I don’t use exact measurements on this. You can really adjust for more or less topping, but I’ll give you a place to start.
- 12 cups of popcorn (you can use microwave, or we have taken to popping on the stove with coconut oil)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup of light brown sugar
- 10-12 large marshmallows (you can substitute small marshmallows in about the same volume if that’s what you have)
Note: You can totally do all of the melting work on the stove top if you would rather. We just always want to get it on the popcorn as quickly as possible, so I’ve found the microwave is easier.
- Pop the popcorn as you normally would.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar together in the microwave, starting at about 20 seconds, then stirring, then 10 second increments until it’s melted and blended.
- Add the marshmallows to the butter and brown sugar mixture and then put back in the microwave for about 20 more seconds. Stir and then again return to the microwave for 10 second increments until the marshmallows are melted enough to mix in completely.
- You can spread the popcorn out on wax paper or a cookie sheet and pour the mixture over it that way to ensure total coverage. I just pour it over in a bowl and use a wooden spoon to turn the popcorn and coat as thoroughly as possible.
This will probably feed 4-5 people, although I’ll be honest and say our family of three can gobble it up with no problems.
A couple of variations:
- Melt chocolate chips with a little shortening or coconut oil and drizzle over it for an added sweet touch.
- Replace the butter and brown sugar with about half a cup of peanut butter and melt the peanut butter and marshmallows together.
What are some of your favorite treats for summer time? What activities do you have planned for this year? I’d love to hear your ideas!